-
September 29th, 2006, 12:39 PM
#31
Senior Hostboard Member
A few months ago a former Altec employee described
what that tweeter was. I can't seem to find the post.
But it was not some super tweeter just a modified
HF driver as he quoted.
..........................................
-
September 29th, 2006, 08:26 PM
#32
Senior Hostboard Member
It's model 950.
http://www.fsinet.or.jp/~ash-k/ALTEC/9862-2.jpg
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
-
September 29th, 2006, 08:50 PM
#33
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
Those look nothing like what I saw loaded in 6041s, but then they were used, so may not have been OEM.
GM
-
September 29th, 2006, 10:42 PM
#34
HB Forum Owner
Convergence:
If it's my post you referred to:
Just getting a 1" driver to 20 kHz was a major problem. The 950 driver in the "Japanese market only" 9862 used a Tangerine phasing plug with a larger number of slots than the 11-slot 802 plugs. Had to be a prime number, so probably 17 or 19 slots were used. Getting the output near to what I believe was a claimed 22 kHz required each driver to be tweaked in the acoustics lab. It was a slow, and very expensive, process. Thats why the MR902-16HF became Altec's "supertweeter" instead of the 950.
9862 Monitor for Japanese Market
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As to the 6041ST used in the 6041 system, I have no info at all. The acoustics dept. wouldn't discuss the Japanese supertweeters, and sales was told very firmly not to even hint that such products were being worked on (reminded me of my Naval Security Group days).
At the time, Billboard listed Altec as #3 in d**** speakers, which really surprised us. Seems our consumer stereo retailers were selling to a lot of small d****s. For a larger system, our Industrial/Professional division could offer everything but an ST, and nobody wanted to design an Altec system with "gerbil" slots or bullets for the top end. So after a dinner Altec had for the district managers and the engineers to discuss ideas, I suggested slapping the MR horn flare from a 604 onto a 902-16 with a mounting bracket to fill in until the 950 could be made in quantity without losing a painful amount of money on each one. When I got back from lunch they next day, they showed me one they had made, complete with frequency response and polar plots. That sure doesn't make me an acoustics engineer, but yes, I was real happy. It then took a full year to get production rolling off the line!
Your 10/85 post on this thread mentioned Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Their sound company, Brittania Row, bought a complete Stanley Screamer system from Altec for that tour. And they rented one of Stan Miller's concert systems for the special effects. When I went to my seat, one of the Altec guys told me to look up high over center stage. They had 64 of the MR902-16HF's in a cluster. (I'm still looking for a picture - someone must have taken one.) Since I had just come from backstage telling Robbie Williams of Britro why 32 of his woofers failed on opening night, I needed that boost.
Britro ran 4 per side on a 300-watt per channel @4 ohm amplifier, for 75 watts per driver. Stan used 100 watts per in his systems. No issues with insufficient headroom here! The MR horn on the 604-8H's includes a "long " plastic throat between the driver and the horn flare. It has a round ball on the driver end, so even if you had one it would be a bear to attach to the driver. MR902's don't do well below 5 KHz because they don't have that throat. They have a 6 mfd capacitor for diaphragm protection, and a diaphragm loading cap under the back cover.
Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Russ
-
September 29th, 2006, 11:02 PM
#35
Senior Hostboard Member
Thanks for the info. Interesting and thorough .
Pink Floyd were in town last week.
The critic noted the superior sound ,as per MIX MAG the band now uses turbosound speakers.
..................................................
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks